Thursday, April 9, 2015

Really???!!!

Ok, so when you have a 1% risk of having a disease, and you actually have it...every other medical statistic is pretty much lost on you.  May the odds be never in your favor...


So after waiting for results that take 7-10 business days, and on day 11 you've heard nothing... the number 1 and I got very acquainted.

One percent of women who have the endometrial receptivity assay are found to have a uterus that is incompatible with implantation.  That's it.  Game over on carrying a pregnancy.  At this point in time they have "no therapeutic solutions" to offer.

The fear of this may have attributed to my lack of sleeping. Also I can tell you more about bovine implantation failure, because infertile cows are a serious problem, apparently.  I know that mouse studies do not accurately reflect human endometrial studies (we thought this?). Also we share an equal receptivity window with the rhesus monkey...

So none of my extracurricular reading did anything to help me fight off the growing realization that I had a post-nuclear apocolyptic uterine environment incompatible with life.  I mean, I kept checking my patient portal for my fertility clinic and...nothing.

So being the ever practical person that I am, I quickly realized that they are putting off telling me that my uterus was comparable to the Sistan Basin for supporting life.  I mean that's not just something you just want to hear over the interwebs...



I texted my embryologist, trying to fish for answers...and they really didn't have my results back...

So a couple more days I finally get brave and ask my doctor's medical assistant if she had heard anything....

NOPE...

'Oh, God...My uterus IS Chernobyl.'

I walk around work the last few days contemplating which gynecologic oncologist I want to perform my hysterectomy, and if they'll have to wear hazmat suits while doing it...

So while, I'm getting to the point of despair, I get an innocent email asking me to inventory what meds I have left so she can order what I need for the next cycle...

'What's the point?'

Buried in that email was just an innocuous line of "your results came back and everything is normal...would do same protocol for transfer".

What?  Who me???  Normal???  Fertile???  Compatible with life???  I could get pregnant???

It takes several moments to process this.  I've read the short email at least 30 times...

It is literally the best news related to my fertility I have received.

It's been very strange today trying to wrap my mind around being normal.  Not only did this imply that my uterus was compatible life, but that it's not even really special and require a day more or less of medication to become receptive...I'm just standard, normal, run-of-the-mill receptive.

This could work!!!?

Peace, Love,  and Normal is the New Mindblowing,

Mary Katherine, Owner of Uterus InCompatible With Life





   


No comments:

Post a Comment