Saturday, November 12, 2011

Fertilization Update

I'm sorry I meant to post this yesterday, but I was too stoned on pain meds to muster up the energy to blog last night.  I'm pretty sore this time for whatever reason, but frankly, I could care less about that...

Susan, the embryologist, emailed me around 9:00am to let me know that out of the 16 mature eggs 14 fertilized normally.  So as of now we are only down three embryos from last time, but as Susan says, these are "better quality."  Today on day 2 they are left alone to do their thing. Hopefully, they are between 2-4 cells and holding up better.

Tomorrow is going to be the real test.  Day three is when my last cycle's embryos showed significant fragmentation and general not-so-goodness.  They would ideally be 8 cells with anything from 6-10 cells being acceptable.

Here is a picture of my embryo babies as of yesterday...

You can tell they are fertilized by the two indentations (pronuclei) towards the middle.   One of those pronuclei is all of my genetic material and the other is BJ's genetic material.  In this picture they are getting ready to get it on and make a baby, so look away.  The stuff around them is not fragmentation but leftover cumulus cells from the follicle and egg. You have to remember we are getting a 2D version of a 3D cell so it's hard to tell what is on top of the embryo vs. what is in the embryo. They may not look like much now, but they can become pretty damn cute in another 38 weeks or so.  I think they are beautiful, now...but clearly I'm biased.  Susan says they are, "Very nice."  I'm so proud!

Peace, Love, and Quality Growth,
Mary Katherine


No comments:

Post a Comment